By Kike Calvo, Photographer and National Geographic Expert
Shopping for a “drone-obsessed” friend or family member? Christmas is almost upon us, and I have decided to think of a general guide to choose a gift that will make happy anyone interested in cool gadgets, quadcopters and Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Catch them off guard with gifts that will put a smile on their faces. I recommend you to read my Drones and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Series before buying any aerial platforms.
1. ($$$) DJI Inspire 1: A complete ready-to-fly system, the Inspire 1 is complete ready-to-fly system. Carbon fiber arms give you the strength to maneuver in the air and they transform, moving out of the camera’s way at the flick of a switch. With a full 360⁰ unobstructed view, you now have the freedom to capture shots independent of the direction you are flying. Learn more about the DJI Inspire 1.
2. ($$$) For the Unfettered Adventurer: DSLRPros Expedition Series P2 Aerial Kit has been specially designed for artists and thrill seekers who refuse to have their creativity limited. The bullet modified motors and ESCs make repairs and replacements easy to perform while on the go. Experience super long range video reception tested up to 1.2 miles with the new DSLRPros video Rx Antenna. The included Travel Backpack comfortably fits all that you need to take your aerial kit to the remote locations you never thought possible. You can also consider buying a DJI Phantom or a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Quadcopter if your budget is limited.
3. ($$) Automatic Mission Planning: Powered by 3DR’s world famous autopilot, the new 3d Robotics Iris+ Multicopter is a robot that will automatically fly itself where you tell it to go, while keeping a camera dead steady with two-axis gimbal stabilization. Using the free DroidPlanner app, IRIS+ users can plan flights by simply drawing a flight plan on any Android tablet or phone. Check the Iris+ Multicopter now.
4. ($$) Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV RTF Headset System Video Goggle GLASS CAMERA: Experience your radio-controlled vehicle from the pilot’s view point. Commonly it is used to pilot an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), an onboard camera, fed wirelessly to video goggles or a video monitor.
5. ($$) Jumping Sumo with FPV: The Parrot MiniDrone Jumping Sum jumps over 2.5 feet high and always falls back on its wheels. Its equipped with a wide angle camera that streams live immersive views on the piloting screen. I am sure the Parrot MiniDrone Jumping Sumo will bring lots of fun to your home.
6. ($$) Backpack Bag for your Phantom: With Extremely light weight, this Backpack Bag fits the DJI Phantom 1, DJI Phantom 2 Vision, DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, DJI Phantom 2 + Gimbal or DJI Phantom FC40, Fits Extra Accessories GoPro Cameras and Laptop. You can also check other backpacks available in the market.
7. ($$) Pebble Smartwatch for iPhone and Android: Hands-free aerial camera control is now a reality. Using a device with a built-in GPS and OTG (on the go) technology and a DroidPlanner app, the new 3d Robotics Iris+ will follow our Pebble Smartwatch for iPhone and Android (Black). DroidPlanner will work with all these devices.
8. ($) A Tripod for FPV Pilots: The Manfrotto Compact Tripod is perfect to support small monitors for those who enjoy First Person View flying.
9. ($) The Hubsan X4, an Old Time Favorite: Along with the Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Quadricopter, this 4 Channel 2.4GHz RC Quadcopter helped me polished my flying skills on my early beginnings. Need some skills? Get a Hubsan X4 today.
10. ($) Buy a Book: As Maurice Sendak once said, “There’s so much more to a book than just the reading.” Here are some suggestions or just check my Cool Stuff List for Drone and Unmanned Vehicle enthusiasts.
10+1. ($) Kike Calvo’s Drone Gifts:
Inspired by my passion for flying sUAV, I have developed a product collection, that include baseball hats, mugs, mouse pads, key chains, T-Shirts and many other items that will make your loved ones smile.