Iceland’s geology in all its manifestations––glaciers, thundering waterfalls, immense cliffs, geothermal springs, boiling mud pots, and rock and lava-scapes of unearthly beauty––is world-class. It alone makes a circumnavigation a very compelling idea. And when you add in the other itinerary components––Iceland’s people, their unique cultural heritage and contemporary character, the island’s geography and birdlife––seeing it all in one 360º expedition is irresistible.
There’s one place on Earth where geology is so exciting, it’s downright sexy, even if you’re not a geologist: Iceland. Geologically young, Iceland is located on both the Iceland hotspot and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge––which means it is highly geologically active with many volcanoes––hundreds of them, in fact. Most famously, the volcano in Eyjafjallajökull erupted in 2010. On this unique 360º itinerary you will:
- Experience all of Iceland’s geological manifestations: glaciers, geysers, thundering waterfalls, immense cliffs, geothermal springs, boiling mud pots and rock- and lava-scapes of unearthly beauty
- Meet Iceland’s people, learn about their unique cultural heritage and contemporary character
- Actively explore Iceland’s wild western coast; Siglutjörout in the north; the rarely-visited rugged east coast; and the Westman islands, one of the planet’s youngest archipelagos
- Enjoy superlative photos ops and on-board photo assistance
- Travel with an expert team on a holistic, narrative voyage
Experience an enchanting land of geological extremes
View one of Europe’s largest ice cap. Feel the percussive cascade and the spray of Godafoss Waterfall. Walk along lava fields and ice sheets. Zodiac cruise among magnificent icebergs in Jökulsárlón. Kayak into fjords and serene bays, or take a snowmobile jaunt on a glacier. Go hiking on magnificent and remote stretches of the coast. And cap off the adventure with a soak in the famous Blue Lagoon.
Every day is active and engaging
You’ll get out on adventures every day—to Zodiac cruise, hike and walk, or kayak for personal encounters with beauty and wildness. You’ll have a choice of activities, plus your choice of naturalists to join—for a moveable feast of personalities, insights, and interests. Choice also includes opting to relax, too. Enjoy the view from behind Explorer’s panoramic glass windows. Or visit the fitness center with its generous views of the vistas, or ease into the sauna or a massage in the Wellness Center.
Travel in excellent company
Explore under the sure guidance of an expedition leader, an assistant expedition leader, eight veteran naturalists, a National Geographic photographer, plus a Lindblad-National Geographic certified photo instructor, a Global Perspective guest speaker, an undersea specialist, a wellness specialist and a video chronicler. Their knowledge and passion for the fascinating Arctic region is the key to your extraordinary experience.