Capture the Amazon, keep it forever
The Upper Amazon of Peru will surprise you! Not only is it a haven for colorful birds and acrobatic monkeys, but the reflections in the calm backwaters of the Amazon and tributaries makes for an endless variety of artistic compositions. And you never know when the mythical pink river dolphins will show up. But make no mistake, the subdued light in the rainforest will challenge you, so come prepared to learn new skills.
Ralph Lee Hopkins, Director of Expedition Photography
A cathedral of green with diverse wildlife, the Amazon is a photographer’s paradise. We’ll take you to the best places and set you up for the perfect shot on our Amazon photography cruise. And, with the benefit of a trained professional as a traveling companion, you’re sure to go home with incredible images.
Exclusively ours: Expedition Photography program
Every Amazon cruise offers the services of a Lindblad Expeditions-National Geographic certified photo instructor. This veteran naturalist is specially trained to assist you with camera settings, the basic elements of framing, composition, and lighting; and to provide tips to ensure you go home with fantastic photos. You’ll be able to capture the moments at the heart of your expedition, and go home a better, more confident photographer—with some of the best shots of your life!
Top 5 Reasons to Photograph in the Amazon
1. Enjoy a safari-style schedule with sunrise and sunset outings in our comfortable 10-person skiffs, the perfect platform for photography and wildlife viewing.
2. Known as the Forest of Mirrors, the still waters of the Amazon River and its tributaries offer unparalleled photo opportunities for wide-angle reflections.
3. Wildlife abounds in Peru’s remote Papaya-Samiria Reserve, so bring your longer zoom lenses and improve your skills shooting the great diversity of birds, sloths, river dolphins, and monkeys.
4. Pump up your ISO on our nighttime outings in search of Caiman alligators and other nocturnal creatures.
5. Meet the local indigenous people and learn how to take intimate portraits that tell the story of their life along the riverbanks.
What to Pack for the Amazon*
*Note: Photography in the Amazon will challenge you with fast moving wildlife subjects in the dark rain forest. A camera with high-ISO (1000 and above) capability and longer zooms with fast auto-focus are recommended.
Please select a destination, date or photographer from the drop-down menus above to search for Photo Expeditions.
3 Members match your criteria