During breakfast we sailed from Tobermory to Craignure, both on the Isle of Mull.
We then boarded our coach for the scenic drive across the southern end of the isle. This volcanic landscape is varied with rugged hills and lush green glens or valleys. Upon arrival in Fionnphort, we took the ferry over to Iona.
The island became a center of Celtic Christianity with the arrival of St Columba in 563. After one Viking raid too many, the monks left. In the early 1200s the Benedictine abbey (for monks) and the Augustinian nunnery were founded. But with the Lord of the Isles’ loss of power followed by the Reformation, the church buildings fell into disrepair. Until George MacLeod, a minister from Glasgow, founded the lona community in 1938. Nowadays, the island is home to a population of about 120 plus any visitors to the community.
It’s a truly spectacular place with white sandy beaches and lovely souvenir shops—something for everyone. On our way back toward Lord of the Glens, we enjoyed a stop at Duart Castle. This castle dates back to the 13th century and is currently home to Sir Lachlan MacLean, 28th Clan Chief of the MacLeans.
Back aboard ship, we sailed to the lovely town of Oban in a sheltered bay. Frances from Oban Distillery gave a talk on whisky. After a beautiful day and the whisky tasting, we toddled off to our cabins.