Photo-Exclusive Pre-Voyage Galápagos extension:
- Led by a National Geographic photographer and Lucas Bustamante, Ecuadorian photographic director of Tropical Herping.
- Two full days immersed in the jungle and rivers of Yasuni National Park, one of the most biodiverse places on Earth.
- Stay in the middle of it all at Napo Wildlife Center, just 20 cabins with all the amenities set on the banks of a black-water lagoon, created, operated and handled by the local community.
- With 10 species of monkey, resident giant river otters, a nearby clay lick attracting macaws and parakeets, observation towers and access to the wild, photographic opportunities are extraordinary.
- Paddle through the jungle with an expert local naturalist and a professional photographer
- Just a short flight from UNESCO-designated historic Quito, largest, best preserved colonial center in the Americas.
- National Geographic Photography Expert Rich Reid: Sep. 23, 2022 (Pre-trip extension departs Sep. 19)
- National Geographic Photography Expert Jonathan Kingston; Dec. 9, 2022 (Pre-trip extension departs Dec. 5)TBA: April 29, 2023 (Pre-trip extension departs Apr. 25)
- National Geographic Photography Expert Rich Reid: September 9, 2023 (Pre-trip extension departs Sept. 5)
- National Geographic Photography Experts David Doubilet & Jennifer Hayes: December 9, 2023 (Pre-trip extension departs Dec. 5)
Galápagos is one of the most surprising places on the planet, and, if you’re like most people, you’ll be reaching for your camera to capture it all. That’s why we have Lindblad-National Geographic certified photo instructors on every departure. Or you can join a Photo Expedition and travel alongside top National Geographic photographers on select departures aboard National Geographic Endeavour II. They will be at your side on deck and in the field to provide inspiration, advice, and tips throughout the expedition.
And if that's not enough, join us for this photo-exclusive pre-voyage Galápagos extension to Napo Wildlife Center—a remarkable base for nature photography. Limited availability. Maximum 16 guests.
Day 1 - Depart U.S./Arrive Quito
Arrive this evening and transfer to the convenient and comfortable Wyndham Quito Airport Hotel, just a few minutes from the airport. Ask about arriving early to explore more of Quito and the Andean Highlands.
Day 2 - Quito/Napo Wildlife Center
Meet fellow travelers and your photo leaders over breakfast and transfer to the airport for the 30-minute flight to Coca, gateway to the Ecuadorian Amazon. Continue by motorboat and canoe, getting your cameras ready for paddling black water Añangu creek. After a brief orientation and photo tips, we start shooting on the way to the majestically situated Napo Wildlife Center. After settling into your cabin, we head for the 120-foot canopy tower at the lodge for photography at sunset. We will talk about all the photographic opportunities and excursions during the next days after dinner. (B,L,D)
Day 3-4 - Napo Wildlife Center
During the next 2 full days, we explore this unique rainforest: visit the remarkable parakeet and macaw clay lick, one of the great animal spectacles; hike along the forest trails to visit the local indigenous Kichwa community; explore the lake and creeks by dugout canoe with expert local guides; and climb several canopy towers built in the pristine forest. Enjoy with the different bird flocks like tanagers, toucans and, with luck troops of different monkey species from a perch atop a towering Ceiba tree. You are in, and over, the jungle in a privileged perch for nature and wildlife photography. (B,L,D)
Day 5 - Napo Wildlife Center/Quito
After breakfast, we return by river to Coca for a midday flight back to Quito. Upon arrival, transfer to Casa Gangotena, a converted mansion in the heart of the Old Quito on Plaza San Francisco. Take a photo walk in the afternoon and join an exclusive activity organized by our hosts at Gangotena. Reminder of the evening and dinner at leisure. (B,L)
Day 6 - Quito/Galapagos
Transfer to the airport for your flight to Galapagos and your photo adventures aboard.
Costs & What's Included
Cost per person 2022-23
Accommodations, meals as indicated, sightseeing tours, gratuities, transfers in conjunction with group recommended flights.
Personal Items, international or domestic airfare (to and from mainland and Galapagos, and flights Quito-Coca-Quito). Galapagos flights are approximately $550 and Coca flights $325, subject to change. These flights are ticketed by Lindblad Expeditions and issued locally.