Sisimiut, which means “the inhabitants at the fox holes” in Greenlandic Inuit language, lies just north of the Arctic Circle. It is the country’s northern-most ice-free port in the winter, but is also the country’s southern-most town where dog sleds are used during winter and spring. The town was founded as a mission and trading station in 1756 and was originally named Holsteinsborg. Many of the early buildings still stand in what is known as the Old Quarter, part of which is now included in an outstanding museum complex (photo A). This museum contains the second oldest church in Greenland – built in 1775, a very cozy sod and stone house, a blacksmithy and various other buildings and objects, such as drying racks, an umiak (a large, open seal skin boat), and dog sleds. Today, Sisimiut is Greenland’s second largest municipality with more than 6,000 inhabitants.